The smoke and haze are back, so unfortunately the magnificent views of
the countryside are extremely limited. I guess that's a good thing,
because the road winds through the mountains and is gravel and very
narrow with no shoulder to speak of. The drop off is straight down
and we are pretty high up at 2,500 feet. And wouldn't you know it, at
the narrowest and highest point of the highway, we get another flat
tire.
I am getting plenty of practice at assisting in changing flat tires
but need to left weights so I have enough strength to loosen the lug
nuts. Needless to say, I am not quite ready for an Indy pit crew but
I am praying I do not get any more practice on this trip. We stop in
Boundary, Alaska at what we believe is a tire repair shop only to find
out the owner is now a gold miner. Apparently gold mining is much
more lucrative; the guy tells us he is mining 50 to 60 ounces of gold
a day which translates to about $65,000.
The high note of the drive, shortly after passing the Canadian border
we came upon a caribou strolling down the highway -- go figure, even
the caribou vacation in Canada.





No comments:
Post a Comment